©XSIBackup-Free: Free Backup Software for ©VMWare ©ESXi

Forum ©XSIBackup: ©VMWare ©ESXi Backup Software

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-15 09:59:33

NST

OneDiff remote datastore backup job

I have the next situation:

HOST A: ESXI 6.7, XSI BACKUP PRO, HDD1 with /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir  and  {datastore2 on separate HDD2 for testing }
HOST B: ESXI 5.1.0,799733, /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir
HOST C: ESXI 5.1.0,799733, /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/xsi-dir

-enabled SSH and ESXI SHELL on HOST A, B, C
-all host with XSIDiff license registered on site

HOST A: ./xsibackup --link-srv=HOST B -> OK
HOST A: ./xsibackup --link-srv=HOST C-> OK

Execution:

- start XSI BACKUP PRO on HOST A with the next scenarios:

1. execute OneDiff local on HOST A with local datastore2 ( datastore 2 on separete HDD attached to HOST A )= OK
2. execute XSITools on remote HOST B and save to  HOST B local datastore1 = OK
3. execute XSIDiff   on remote HOST C and save to  HOST C local datastore1= OK
4. execute OneDiff on remote HOST B and save to Remote HOST C datastore1 = ERROR
4. execute XSITools on remote HOST B and save to Remote HOST C datastore1 = ERROR

Error from log:
2019-03-15T08:57:56|  The server --backup-point=HOST C:22:/vmfs/volumes/datastore1/bak1 does not exist
2019-03-15T08:57:56|  Make sure there is an SSH server listening on HOST C port 22 and that the firewall allows this connection

Remote exit backup job status: 314

- folder bak1 exist on HOST C

Questions

A. I must run on HOST B ./xsibackup --link-srv=HOST C ?
B. If I linked A with B and A with C, what is the relation between B and C ?

Jobs that I want to do :

Job 1: move with OneDiff all VM from HOST B to HOST C using remote jobs from  XSIBACKPRO installed on HOST A
Job 2: backup all VM from HOST C to NFS Storage( FreeNAS ZFS2) using remote jobs from XSIBACKUP PRO installed on HOST A
Job 3: keep at the office HOST A and HOST C +NFS Storage , send on the field HOST B and execute the same strategy using VPN and a low amount of traffic using OneDiff

PS: if i managed to run a remote job from HOST A to HOST C and backup to HOST C local  datastore, I am sure that if I attach a NFS datastore to host C it will work

best regards,
Alin

#2 2019-03-15 12:14:36

admin
Administrator

Re: OneDiff remote datastore backup job

1/ You can't just OneDiff from ESXi version 6.7 to 5.1, unless you are hosting in ESXi 6.7 a hardware version way below the current as per the ESXi 6.7 version that is compatible with ESxi 5.1. In any case that is a really bad idea.

2/ OK, no problem, everything is local, you don't need to take into account how different versions may interact.

3/ XSIDiff is useless in a local environment, use Vmkfstools instead

4/ OpenSSH versions in 5.1 and 6.7 are very distant in time. KEX algorithms and cyphers have been deprecated in the meanwhile. It's not impossible to copy data from one to another, but you will need to comprehend how those two openSSH versions work toghether and make the appropiate tweaks, it might even not be possible at all to do what you want.

5/ That scenario should not be a problem.

Try to keep ESXi versions as compatible as possible, being the most compatible the exact same version and build number and the least the most distant in time.

#3 2019-03-15 12:33:07

NST

hello,

thank you for fast replay !

I think i did not describe accurate my situation:

- I want to move between compatible hosts( host B and Host C ) are 5.1
- I don't want to move VM from 6.7 to 5.1
- I want to move VM from HOST B( 5.1 ) to HOST C(5.1) using the XSIBACKUP PRO that is running in HOST A( 6.7 ). All the jobs are running remotely on B with remote target datastore on C.

Please correct me if I understood correctly:
- I must install XSIBackup Pro on 5.1 to be able for running remote job on HOST B and save to HOST C? I am not moving anything from 6.7, it is only running there

- If I run remote job on Host B and save also on B is ok
- If I run remote job on Host C and save also on C is ok

- my problem is when I want to run  remote job on Host B and Save to Host C.  Could be a problem of firewall from B to C? I says that the folder does not exist, but the folder exist.

Alin

#4 2019-03-15 15:50:59

admin
Administrator

Yes, you can very well run jobs from A to be executed in B via the [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#manhost]--host[/url] argument. Those jobs may backup VMs from B to C, no problem. If you can't reach C from B, first question you have to ask yourself is: did I [https://33hops.com/xsibackup-help-man-page.html#linksrv]--link[/url] B to C?, secondly: can I run remote shell commands from B to C using the RSA public key in the xsi-dir folder?

Board footer